Content © Copyright 2018 Eurovision Guide
MONUMENTS & STRUCTURES
A symbol of maritime Lisbon, this Byzantine and Gothic tower stands out over the mouth of the Tejo, guarding the entrance to the city's harbour. Reached via a walkway raised out of the water on timbers, the tower is filled with intricate stonework and has wide Atlantic views.
Address: Av. Brasília, 1400-
Contact: + 351 21 362 0034
Opening times: Tue-
Torre de Belém (Belem Tower)
The monument was erected on an isolated cliff top 133 m above the sea, overlooking the Tagus River left bank and depicts Christ with arms raised, blessing the city. This is one of the most iconic monuments of the city of Lisbon. Inspired by the Christ Redeemer statue in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The statue features a viewing platform with magnificent views of Lisbon.
Address: Alto do Pragal, Av. Cristo Rei, 2800-
Opening times: Mon-
Santuário de Cristo Rei (Sanctuary of Christ the King)
São Jorge Castle is one of the most prominent attractions of Lisbon. This Moorish Castle dominates the hilltop overlooking the historical area of Lisbon. Early history of the castle dates back to Roman occupation in 48 BC. The castle was the seat of power of Portugal for over 400 years. There are two distinct sections of the castle; the Moorish Castle (pre 12th century) and the Royal Palace (13-
Address: R. de Santa Cruz do Castelo, 1100-
Contact: +351 218 800 620
Opening times: Daily 9am to 9pm
Castelo de São Jorge (Saint George Castle)
The Carmo Convent and its Church were built between 1389 and 1423 in a plain Gothic style. The earthquake of 1755 caused significant damage to the church and much of the surrounding buildings. The Carmo Convent is located in the Chiado neighbourhood, on a hill overlooking the Rossio square and facing the Lisbon Castle hill. It is located in front of a quiet square (Carmo Square), very close to the Santa Justa Lift. Today it houses the Carmo Archaeological Museum.
Address: Largo do Carmo, 1200-
Contact: + 351 213 460 473 / 478 629
Opening times: Daily 10am to 6pm
Admission: €4.00 (Guided tour €5.00)
Convento da Ordem do Carmo (Convent of Our Lady of Mount Carmel)
Elevador de Santa Justa (Santa Justa Lift, Carmo Lift)
The Santa Justa lift is situated at the end of Rua de Santa Justa, it connects the lower streets of the Baixa with the higher Largo do Carmo (Carmo Square). Completed in 1902, It is a work of the engineer Raoul Mesnier de Ponsard. The Santa Justa lift is operated by Carris.
Address: R. do Ouro, 1150-
Contact: +351 21 413 8679
Opening times: Daily 7.30am to 11.00pm
Admission: Santa Justa ticket (purchased on board €5.00 ); Lisboa Viva Card , 7Colinas or Viva Viagem (loaded with valid titles in CARRIS); Yellow Bus tickets ; Lisboa Card
It is the longest bridge in Europe (including viaducts), with a total length of 12.3 kilometres, including 0.8 kilometres for the main bridge and 11.5 kilometres in viaducts. The Bridge is served by 4.8 kilometres of dedicated access roads. It was built to alleviate the congestion on Lisbon's 25 de Abril Bridge, and eliminate the need for traffic between the country's northern and southern regions to pass through the capital city.
Address: Sacavém, north of Lisbon (right/north bank)
Alcochete and Montijo (left/south bank)
Ponte Vasco da Gama (Vasco da Gama Bridge)
It was inaugurated on August 6, 1966, and a train platform was added in 1999. Because it is a suspension bridge and has similar coloring, it is often compared to the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, US. It was built by the American Bridge Company which constructed the San Francisco–Oakland Bay Bridge, but not the Golden Gate. With a total length of 2,277 m, it is the 32nd largest suspension bridge in the world. The upper deck carries six car lanes, while the lower deck carries two train tracks electrified at 25 kV AC. Until 1974, the bridge was named Salazar Bridge. The name "25 de Abril" commemorates the Carnation Revolution.
Address: Lisbon (right/North bank)
Pragal (left/South bank)
Ponte 25 de Abril (25 de Abril Bridge)
Gare do Oriente, or alternately, the Lisbon Oriente Station is one of the main Portuguese intermodal transport hubs, and is situated in the civil parish of Parque das Nações, municipality of Lisbon. With some influence from Gothic architecture, the station bears considerable resemblance to Santiago Calatrava's earlier Allen Lambert Galleria within Toronto's Brookfield Place. Calatrava's objective was to realize a new space with ample room and functionality providing multiple connections between various zones in the metropolitan area of Lisbon
This is a major station for those travelling to the Eurovision Song Contest venue, The Altice Arena.
Address: Av. Dom João II, 1900-
Gare do Oriente (Lisbon Oriente Station)
Commercial Square was originally the location of the Royal Ribeira Palace until it was destroyed by the great 1755 Lisbon earthquake. After the earthquake, the square was completely remodelled as part of the rebuilding of the Pombaline Downtown.
This will be the home of the Eurovision Village.
Address: Praça do Comércio, 1100-
Praça do Comércio (Commercial Square)
The monument is decorated with motifs which call forth the age of the great discoveries, seafaring motifs and armillary spheres included. The main statue is the one which represents Henry the Navigator, while other figures rendered are important personalities who, one way or another, have contributed to Portugal’s reputation in the age of discoveries.
Address: Av. Brasília, 1400-
Padrão dos Descobrimentos (Monument of Discoveries)
Rossio Square is the popular name of the Pedro IV Square in the city of Lisbon, in Portugal. It is located in the Pombaline Downtown of Lisbon and has been one of its main squares since the Middle Ages. It has been the setting of popular revolts and celebrations, bullfights and executions, and is now a preferred meeting place of Lisbon natives and tourists alike.
Praça Dom Pedro IV (Rossio Square)